Most of the materials can be cut by an aqua jet thrown at very high velocity (2 to 3 times the sound velocity). This velocity is obtained by pushing water trough a very small nozzle (0.1 to 0.4 millimetres) with ultra high pressure from 2000 to 4000 bar.
Pure water cutting for soft material
Exiting the nozzle as a coherent jet, the water particles, thrown at very high velocity hit the surface of the material to be cut in order to get a clear separation.
In this case, the cutting power is due to the velocity of abrasive particles, the water only serving as master fluid to accelerate them. This is achieved by using a mixing chamber that sucks the abrasive from a tank by Venturi effect and a focusing tube.
Advantages versus other process
- Ability to cut very thick sheets (up to150 mm).
- Homogeneous , heterogeneous material and composites as well.
- Cold cut without any warm or structural effect neither toxic gas dispersion specially on organic materials.
- Process well adapted to 2,3 or 5 axes machines NC controlled or robot without any die or tooling requirement.
- Possibility to control several cutting heads simultaneously.